Breast hypertrophy or Gynecomastia in men is like a condition to have enlarged abnormal breasts like a woman, which majorly occurs on both sides on the chest for 70% cases.
True gynecomastia has enlarged glandular tissues and Pseudo-gynecomastia carries fat deposits in the breast area.
In most cases, no obvious reason is found for idiopathic gynecomastia. Due to increasing cases of obesity, increased use of anabolic steroids, and environmental contamination with estrogen-like substances, the number of patients in India with gynecomastia is increasing. It is usually caused by an increase in the ratio of estrogens (female hormone) to testosterone (male hormone). Estrogen makes breast tissue to grow, while testosterone creates inhibitory effects for the breast tissue and stops Estrogen to grow breast tissues.
4 stages of gynecomastia
- Grade 1- small enlargement on the chest without excess skin.
- Grade 2- moderate enlargement on the chest without excess skin.
- Grade 3- moderate enlargement plus extra skin hanging from the chest
- Grade 4- marked enlargement like a breast with extra skin.
How to get rid?
Non-surgical ways like Ayurveda medicines, dieting, gym, or even pills might help to a certain extent in mild gynecomastia cases. No treatment is needed in pubertal or Pre-pubertal gynecomastia because it resolves once normal hormone level is reached. But significant or discernible gynecomastia will only get removed by the surgical treatment which involves gland incision and liposuction. With advanced technique, this surgery is done by a specialized gynecomastia plastic surgeon, in order to remove the breast gland
Steps to prepare for the surgery
- Get a proper evaluation of the current stage of the problem.
- Herbal supplements, smoking, and anti-inflammatory drugs must be avoided.
- Inform prior to your surgeon about any medication you already have.
- You must be clear with the surgery date and the doubts related to the procedure of surgery.
The surgery needs around two hours and it’s only a one-time treatment. It does not need admission to the hospital for rest. The patient gets discharge after gynecomastia surgery.
Exact steps for the procedure
- Pectoral muscles plus glandular tissue marking is done for clear reshaping
- Administration of anesthesia – local anesthesia with light sedation is preferred.
- Infiltration of Tumescent solution
- VASER Liposuction is done to remove extra fat deposits.
- Proper and complete removal of glandular breast tissue to avoid its re-occurrence.
Precautions before surgery:
- Complete all mandated pre-operative tests.
- Proper shave of under-arms and Chest.
- Nothing must be taken as a drink or to eat before 6hours of surgery.
- Clothes must be comfortable.
- Always keep the company of a responsible person.
In India the cost ranges from Rs 65,000 to Rs 95,000 depending on the amount of fat to be removed, sculpting needed, the technology used, and other miscellaneous expenses. Gynecomastia surgery near me will not give a similar result to the same surgery near you, because doctors and machines vary too. And with this cost varies. In most cases, correction of gynecomastia is not eligible for insurance coverage but various finance agencies provide easy EMI facilities as well.