Diflucan Oral: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions
If you are facing any kind of infection lately and are not finding the right medication, then your doctor would recommend applying Diflucan. Diflucan is also known as Fluconazole, an antifungal medicine that helps in treating infections caused by a fungus, which can invade any part of the body including the mouth, throat, esophagus, lungs, bladder, genital area, and the blood. Furthermore, the medication will also help in preventing infection in people having a weak immune system caused due to diseases like cancer or bone marrow transplant.
Essential Information you must know-
When you are consuming Diflucan along with other drugs, there could be a dangerous result in your health. Some of the medications you must avoid with Diflucan are- cisapride, erythromycin, pimozide, quinidine, astemizole, higher doses of terfenadine, etc. Before you consume this medicine, always take do the consultation from the doctor. It is important to take the Diflucan in the full-prescribed length of time. Never skip the doses as mentioned because it can increase the risk of further infection.
Effects of Diflucan if consumed wrongly-
As mentioned above there are complications if consumed along with other drugs. Some of the side effects one can have to the person are-
- If you are consuming syrup that contains glycerol, may cause headache, stomach upset, and diarrhea.
- If you are driving or using operating machines, then you might face some dizziness or seizures occasionally.
Nausea diarrhea, stomach upset/pain, headache, dizziness, or hair loss may occur. In case, these effects persist for long then you should connect with the doctor for medication. While connecting with the doctor explain every detail about the symptoms of the same. This also includes signs of your adrenal glands not working well. If you think that this drug will cause liver disease, then you are wrong. However, if you develop any signs of liver pain or abdominal pain, then you must provide information about the same.
There are rare cases of an allergic reaction. However, do connect with the doctor if you notice any harsh symptoms of the allergic reaction. This includes- fever that doesn’t go away, new or worsening lymph node swelling, rash, itching/swelling, etc.
Consuming Diflucan for Fungal Infection–
It is important that you must consume this antifungal medicine only after the recommendation by the doctor. Follow all the directions given by the doctor and written on the label. The dose of Diflucan will completely depend on the infection you have. You can consume it with or without food. Always shake the oral suspension before taking any dose. You can also make use of a syringe or medicine dose-measuring device. Even if your symptoms are improving, you can use this medicine for the prescribed length.
Since we read about the side effects of Diflucan, it is important to take essential precautionary measures. While purchasing Fluconazole, tell your pharmacist about the allergy issues you have. If you have an allergy and still you go ahead and consume it then it might increase later.
- There are chances that this medicine may cause a condition affecting the heart rhythm. If you are facing this issue, then do visit your doctor for medication. You must provide complete information on what medicines you consume.
- The problem of the heartbeat can also be due to low levels of potassium or magnesium in the blood. This risk further increases if you consume drugs that can be fatal. If you are consuming alcohol or cannabis, then the effect can be fatal.
- Therefore, if your doctors prescribe you with Diflucan, then you must provide all your details.
- If you are pregnant, then you should consume this medication only when you need. Wrong consumption of the drug can harm the unborn baby if taken during the first 3 months of pregnancy. You must seek doctor permission before consuming this medication. Discuss the risk with your doctor before consuming it.
Drug interactions usually change your medications working because it may increase the risk of serious side effects. There is the classification of Diflucan drug interaction-
- Major- Highly clinically significant. So avoid combinations and risk of the interaction outweighing the benefit.
- Moderate- Moderately clinically significant. Avoid combinations and use it only under certain requirements.
- Minor- Minimal clinical significant. You must minimize the risk and take accurate precautions.
Below are some of the Diflucan interactions–
Misc Antifungal Agents/Astemizole; Terfenadine Interactions-
Sever. When this medicine interacts with Diflucan, it can cause harmful effects and should not be consumed together. When these two medicines are consumed together, your body may not process your allergy medicine properly. Your blood level increases and effects your heart.
Cilostazol (> 50 mg)/Strong & Moderate CYP2C19 Inhibitors that Prolong QT Interactions-
Severe- This can interact causing harmful effects and is not taken. Do connect with the medical professional for assistance. When these two medicines are consumed together, your body may not process cilostazol properly. In addition, both medicines can affect your heart’s rhythm.
Asunaprevir/Strong and Moderate CYP3A4 Inhibitors Interactions-
Severe- this medicine may interact and cause harmful effects on your body. During the interaction, the amount of asunaprevir in your blood may increase and cause more side effects than normal. Do connect with health professionals for examination.
Lomitapide/Strong or Moderate CYP3A4 Inhibitors Interactions–
Severe- These medicines will slow down your liver process lomitapide. The amount of lomitapide in your blood may increase and cause more side effects than normally expected.
For this interaction, your doctor would ask you to discontinue or adjust the dose of lomitapide.
Severe- this medicine may interact with harmful effects and is taken together. Fluconazole may slow down how quickly your liver processes erythromycin. In this interaction, the amount of erythromycin in the blood will increase causing heart rhythm problems.
Ranolazine (> 500 mg BID)/Moderate CYP3A4 Inhibitors Interactions–
This medicine interaction will slow down how quickly your liver processes ranolazine.
Fluvastatin (> 20 mg BID)/Fluconazole Interactions-
This interaction will slow down how quickly your liver processes your cholesterol medicine. The amount of cholesterol in your blood will increase.
Domperidone/QT Prolonging Agents Interactions-
This interaction can affect your heart rhythm. If domperidone taken along with other agents can affect heart rhythm may increase your risk of irregular heartbeat, which may be life-threatening.