If parents are informed and aware of the symptoms of Autism, they might be able to detect this condition in their children before visiting a professional psychiatrist for their child. Autism disorder emerges in infancy and early childhood. It causes delays in numerous development areas like learning to talk, interact, and play with others.
The signs and symptoms vary so do the effects. Some children suffer from mild impairments only, while some may have to face a variety of difficulties. The three main areas where an autistic child has problems are:
- Verbal and non-verbal communication
- Flexible behavior and thinking
- Relating and interactions with the people and world around them.
What causes autism has various answers. However, early and intensive intervention proves to be helpful. Getting in touch with the best psychiatrist in Dubai for your child could lessen the effects of this disorder so your child can thrive in life.
Warning Signs – How Parents Can Detect
As a parent, you spend the most time with your child. You are in the best position to identify the warning signs. Do not dismiss the significance of your own experience and observations. The key is learning what accounts for typical behavior and what does not.
· Monitor Your Kid’s Development
Autism entails numerous development delays. Keep a close watch on your child when they achieve a major cognitive, emotional, or social goal. This is an effective way to detect the disorder early. Developmental delays do not automatically indicate autism but indicate an increased risk.
· Do not adopt the Wait-and-See Approach
Usually, parents are asked to stop worrying and wait and see. However, it isn’t always the ideal option. You may risk losing valuable time where your child could improve significantly. Regardless of what the reason for the delay is, autism or some other factor. Kids with developmental delays do not just grow out of their problems. They need assistance and targeted treatment.
· Have a Concern? Take Action
There is no need to panic if your child is late to walk or talk as every child develops differently. However, when it comes to healthy developments, things are a bit different. If you think your child is unable to meet the milestones for his/her age, or you are dubious of a problem, get in touch with an autism spectrum disorder clinic as soon as possible. Don’t wait.
· Trust you Gut
In the best scenario, your child’s doctor will pay heed to your concerns and carry out a detailed evaluation of autism as well as any other developmental delays. However, even the best of doctors sometimes miss the red flags. If your instinct is telling you something is wrong, it probably is. Get a second opinion and consult a child development specialist.
Autism in Babies/ Toddlers – Signs and Symptoms
If autism is found in infancy, treatment can be quite effective. Autism is difficult to diagnose before 24 months, symptoms tend to emerge between 12 and 18 months. If signs are detected by 18 months, the brain can be rewired by intensive treatment. And symptoms can be reversed.
The earliest signs of autism involve a lack of typical behaviors. That’s why they can be tough. Sometimes, autism signs are perceived as traits of a quiet child who is undemanding and independent. But if you know what to look for, you can catch the warning signs.
- Your baby/toddler does not make eye contact (while eating or when you smile at them).
- They do not respond to their name or the sound of a familiar voice
- Follow your gesture as you point things out or follow objects visually
- Does not wave or point goodbye
- Does not make noises to get attention
- Play with others
- Initiate or respond to cuddling
- Does not reach out to be picked up
- Imitate your facial expressions or movements
- Does not notice or care if you show pain or discomfort
The red flags for autism become as diverse as children get older. There are numerous warning signs and symptoms. But they normally involve around impaired speech and social skills along with language difficulties, non-verbal communication difficulties, and rigid behavior. There is an autism test for teens as well.
- Disinterested and unaware of other people
- Does not know how to connect or play with others
- Does not like to be touched or cuddled
- Does not indulge in pretend games or get creative toys
- Does not hear when others talk to them
- Has trouble expressing their feelings
- Does not share interests or achievements
Speech and Language Difficulties
- Speaking in atypical tone, odd rhythm, or pitch.
- Repeats same words or phrases
- Does not understand simple questions/statements
- Responds to questions by repeating instead of answering
- Uses language incorrectly and refers to himself in the third person
- Difficulty in communicating needs
- Autistic children have difficulty with language and speech. They talk late as well.
Non-verbal Communication Difficulties
- Avoids eye contact
- Does not use facial expressions properly or pick other’s facial expressions
- Uses limited-expression
- Reacts strangely to sights, sounds, smells, and textures
- Eccentric movement, clumsiness, atypical posture
Autistic children cannot pick up subtle nonverbal cues or body language, which makes social interaction tough.
Children with autism spectrum disorder follow a rigid routine and have difficulty adopting any changes. They have unusual attachments to strange objects (keys, lights, and switches). They spend a long period watching moving objects. Repeats the same actions or movements over and over again.
Does any of this sound familiar? If yes, your child might need to get autistic treatment in Dubai. To get some of the best expert advice, consultation, and treatment, get in touch with Camali Clinic.